Tuesday, May 1, 2007

A day in the life, part the third

So I have finished reading Humbar's manuscript. But something strange is going on with it. Much of it seems to have been written by someone else. Is Humbar developing a split personality? Did he try to save money by parceling out some of the work to someone other than me? (If this is the case, a pox be upon him!) And if two people wrote this, which work is Humbar's and which is the other person's?
He took a step closer. I could back away no further, cornered as I was. I sand to the floor, hoping that--for once--he would sense my terror, would show me mercy, would turn around and walk away.

But no. His face reddened in rage, blood vessels burst in his eyes, and he struck.

The first blow blinded me for a moment, and white stars exploded inside my head. The next blow took my breath away.

And this time, somethign in me snapped. I shook the fog from my brain and rose to my own defense.
I will leave you to wonder what happens next. Because when all is said and done, I'm a bad-hearted person. But you already knew that.

I must ponder my dilemma. How to turn this cobbled together manuscript into something worthy of, well, me. I daresay I will rewrite the whole thing. Not that I couldn't match the style of the properly written material, but my heart suggests that it would be wise not to leave any of the manuscript intact; after all, what if Humbar nicked portions of someone else's manuscript? He's slimy enough, and I wouldn't put such a thing past him.

No comments: